About MGS

Welcome to the MGS Headteachers's Blog.



Wednesday 9 March 2016

8 March 2016

Firstly I wish to thank Ms Alloy and all the staff who organised a very successful Hurricane House Extravaganza last Friday.  This was a new event and one that we hope to see across all Houses in the near future.  Many thanks also to the students who performed at the event and to the parents who came along to support.  We raised over £500 for Demelza House.

This week is yet another busy one.  I continue to meet a number of Year 11 students and discuss with them their choices for A-Level next year.  I thoroughly enjoy this aspect of my job as, even though it is only about 10 minutes, it is nice to give my undivided attention to one student and hear about them.  I will finish my meetings by the end of the week.
Also this week I have a number of other commitments including governor meetings, a meeting with Mr Patrick Leeson, the Corporate Director for Education in Kent, and spending time in the D & T and Business Studies departments.  This latter commitment is something I also enjoy doing; visiting lessons and talking with students about what they are learning.  This year I am visiting each department and spending a couple of hours in each one getting a flavour of what the students experience.  What I have seen so far has been excellent.

On Thursday the Year 7 students complete Day 2 of the BBC Schools Report.  I popped in to see Year 7 during Day 1 and they were all enjoying the experience and discussing a number of topical news issues that matter to them.  This week each group presents their news broadcast, and I get a chance to watch a select few perform in front of the rest of the year group. 
I wish to congratulate both the U18 and U15 rugby squads that took part in last week’s Kent Sevens Tournament.  The U18 squad reached the semi-final beating schools including Skinners’ and Chis & Sid, but then sadly lost to our old adversary, Judd!  The U15 squad went one better and reached the final of their tournament, but sadly came runners-up, an achievement not seen for over 10 years.  Well done to both squads, thank you to the staff that supported the boys, and good luck to all rugby squads next Friday when they play Oakwood Park!