About MGS

Welcome to the MGS Headteachers's Blog.



Tuesday 24 March 2020

Tuesday 24 March


I never thought I would be writing my blog in the situation that we are now in.  It does not feel right that here we are in March and the school is incredibly quiet.

Firstly, I wish to extend a huge personal thank you to everyone, students and staff, for the combined efforts over the last few weeks.  We have all had to adjust, react quickly, and come together – and seeing this from the entire school community was not only humbling but made me feel very proud to be part of an amazing and selfless profession.  Thank you.

Secondly, I wish to thank the parents for their support over the last few weeks.  I have received a number of emails expressing thanks and appreciation, and praising the work that we are doing to ensure the life of the school continues.  Parents, with our help, it’s over to you now.  Please support us by ensuring your child completes the work being set and that they follow their normal timetable.  It is vital they get into some kind of routine.

The MGS Community is full of pride and tradition, and is full of people who hold MGS close to their hearts.  We have temporarily left its home of Barton Road and have moved to a more virtual one.  Despite our temporary home I know that the spirit of MGS will carry on.  And as I said in my speech at the Founders’ Day Service in July last year, ‘What makes us Maidstonians?  Other Maidstonians’.  It is the people within MGS that defines the school, not the school buildings themselves. 

Last week HM The Queen said, ‘The UK is entering a period of great concern and uncertainty and at times such as these, I am reminded that our nation’s history has been forged by people and communities coming together to work as one, concentrating our combined efforts with a focus on the common goal’.  Last week we as the MGS Community came together and extended our support and kindness to each other.  We will get through this and come out the other end as an even more cohesive and thoughtful community, and I am already looking forward to welcoming the students back.

Best wishes and stay safe.